Pandita Ramabai is an example of excellent creations that fulfilled every condition for which our life is meant. She lived her life on her terms and proved the world that everything is possible. Here I will give a glimpse of her life which will make us think and live the best way we can.
1.She was the first woman to be awarded the title of ‘Pandita’ & ‘Sarasvati’ for her excellence in the Sanskrit language (1878).
2. Born in Marathi speaking Brahmin family but acquired the skills of speaking 7 different languages.
3. Her parents and siblings passed away when she was very young. She was a self-made woman who raised herself with courage and a positive outlook towards life. She traveled to America to educate herself in global language, knowledge, and cultures.
4. She changed her religion to Christianity on founding her religion insufficient for her deeds.
5. She married a Bengali man of other castes during the period when inter-caste & inter-religion was banned.
6. She suggested to Lord Ripon’s Education commission to appoint woman inspectors and trained woman teachers to the school. She also suggested that Indian women should be admitted to Medical colleges as most of the female cases could be looked after by women only.
7. During the famine of 1896, she rescued thousands of outcast children, child widows, orphans, and other destitute women and brought them to shelter of Mukti and Sharada sadan.
8. As a single mother, she raised up her daughter and made her a highly meritorious and capable woman.
9. She challenged the Manu’s code of conduct ascribed for women and seriously criticized the patriarchal ideologies.
10. She was awarded Kesari Hind by Britishers.
Over her coffin was a white cloth on which was inscribed, “we shall all be changed, the trumpet shall sound and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.”